Air Conditioner Maintenance
When your air conditioner is working just fine, it’s easy to forget about the importance of professional air conditioner maintenance in NJ. With your job, your kids, and life’s other everyday demands, the health of your A/C probably isn’t at the top of your mind. However, proper routine maintenance is actually incredibly important for keeping your A/C running smoothly and efficiently. Without regular tune-ups, your air conditioner is actually far more likely to develop problems, or even stop working completely. The summers in New Jersey can be stiflingly hot and humid, and nothing is more uncomfortable than a broken air conditioner on a hot summer afternoon. Fortunately, you can prevent the need for potentially costly repairs with routine professional A/C maintenance from your local HVAC specialist. To keep things running smoothly, you’ll want to schedule regular annual tune-ups to keep your air conditioner in top condition.
What to Expect from A/C Tune-ups
Air conditioner maintenance should be scheduled at least once a year, usually at the beginning of the summer. A tune-up will help pinpoint any potential problems, so that the technician can fix them before they get worse. This kind of maintenance will prepare your air conditioner for heavy use during the hot summer months. During your yearly tune-up, the technician will do several important things to check your A/Cs function:
- Checking the refrigerant level. Air conditioners use freon, a synthetic chemical compound that acts as a coolant. It’s important to keep the refrigerant at the right level; losing too much freon can significantly increase your electrical costs, as well as putting stress on the air conditioner itself. The technician will also make sure that there aren’t any leaks. The chemicals used as coolants can be damaging to the environment, so it’s important to keep them from being released into the atmosphere.
- Checking the electrical systems and electrical wiring. The technician will check the voltage and amperage of the motors. They’ll also inspect the electrical wiring. If wiring problems are left undetected, they can potentially create a serious fire hazard.
- Checking the air flow. HVAC technicians will evaluate the airflow from your air conditioner during the tuneup. If there’s a problem, they can figure out what’s wrong so that they can fix it. Airflow problems are a common reason for A/C repairs in Paramus, so it’s a good idea to catch potential problems early.
- Lubricating moving parts.
- Checking the thermostat. Your household thermostat can actually develop problems and begin to malfunction, making it harder to cool your home properly.
- Checking fan motors and fan belts.
- Checking your air filters.
- Inspecting the condensate drain. Air conditioners produce water, and are built with drains to funnel this condensate away from the unit. It’s not uncommon for cracks in the drain to develop, leading to leakage that can cause serious water damage.
- Checking compressor operation.
These are just some of the many tasks that an HVAC technician will perform during an annual tune-up. All of these checks make sure that no minor problems have developed, which can be difficult for a nonprofessional to notice until it’s too late. Regular maintenance will extend your air conditioner’s lifespan, increase its energy efficiency, and save you money on potentially costly repairs. If you haven’t been scheduling tune-ups, and you’re interested in learning more about A/C maintenance in NJ, give us a call at ALL DONE HVAC. We’ll work with you to schedule annual service at your convenience, helping you enjoy a cool and comfortable home throughout the summer season.